What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, May 12, 2016

Thoughts From Acts 1


Continuing my thoughts on the book of Acts, I studied chapter 1 this last week. There were many interesting points, however, a few stuck out to me.
Acts 1:1 says, “The first account I composed, Theophilus, about all that Jesus began to do and teach . . .” Luke says that his first account was all about what Jesus did and what He taught. I asked myself if that was a pattern for us to follow: do and teach. And, possibly if that’s the order we should be doing them in. Several commentaries I read pointed out that Jesus did wonderful things, then He preached to the people who had witnessed those things. We are supposed to do as Jesus did (after Jesus washed the disciples’ feet He said, “For I gave you an example that you also should do as I did to you.” John 13:15). So I could conclude that we also should do (works of service) and then teach (about the source of the power to do the things we do).
Later in Acts 1 (verse 8) Jesus tells us exactly what the disciples should be doing. “but you shall receive power when the Holy Spirit has come upon you; and you shall be My witnesses both in Jerusalem, and in all Judea and Samaria and even to the remotest part of the earth.” What caught my eye is that it says we are to “be [His] witnesses.” Being means much more than just talking about Jesus. Being means doing whatever we do in such a way as for it to represent what Christ would have done. It doesn’t say to go and witness to others. It says to be a witness to others. One of the commentaries I read explained it this way: “To be [Jesus’] witnesses in both word and deed means communicating the verbal content of the Gospel and living God‘s way and not our own.” [Emphasis added] We need to be about the business of doing things the way Jesus would do them.
I think doing service and acts of kindness opens doors to the gospel of Christ. Doing creates a platform for verbally sharing about Christ and salvation. I think doing for others causes them to ask, “Why are you doing this nice thing?” And then we can share that we are just doing what Christ would have us do because He loves everybody and wishes everybody to know and love Him. With this perspective in mind, my church is engaging in doing this Saturday. They call it “Outflow.” Five hundred people strong, members of our church reach out to complete projects needed doing by members of our community. The emphasis is on serving those who do not yet know Christ. Doing, in order to open doors to the verbal sharing. It’s not done with ulterior motives or to make the people doing the good works feel good (although that does happen). It is done to show the love of Christ in real, tangible ways to those who most need His love.
That’s what I think Christ’s example was to us: do and teach, be witnesses. Please pray for this outreach into our community and be a part of doing for Jesus.

No comments: