What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, May 28, 2015

Memorial Day Thoughts


This past weekend was Memorial Day weekend, as you all know. I hope you spent some time remembering the real reasons for the holiday. I know it’s a great way to start the summer season, plant the garden, enjoy a barbecue, spend time with friends and family, and spend time in the outdoors. However, Memorial Day is more than all of those things. I’m also sure you are getting tired of hearing about it on social media. I’ve also seen the Facebook posts honoring the men and women who have sacrificed for our country and its values. I’ve also noticed the flags flying from businesses, homes, churches, and other governmental and non-governmental buildings. But, when things really get down to what Memorial Day is about, I’m at a loss.
That’s because Memorial Day is for remembering and honoring those who gave their ultimate sacrifice in the name of their country. It’s for remembering those who died in the line of service to the United States of America. I can do this on an intellectual level. However, I have never known anyone personally who has gone to war for our country and died in their efforts to serve to the best of their ability. I know of people who have given their lives in the line of service . . . wait, I know of one person who gave his life in the line of service. I know there are many others. I actually feel guilty that I did not know such heroes.
As I was thinking about this, some “stories” I’ve read or have seen in the movies come to mind. For instance, my dad was a World War II veteran. I’m sure he knew several soldiers who died in the line of service. He probably lost quite a few “friends” on D-Day as they tried to make their way to safety on the beaches. He made it. Many, many others did not. Dad never talked about those comrades in arms. He did not want to be reminded. Yet he remembered every Memorial Day I could remember in my childhood, without failure, by going to ceremonies at cemeteries and gathering with family. But I do not know the names of any of those lost during World War II and so I cannot remember them specifically.
There have been many other lives lost in wars since the one my dad was a part of. My father-in-law was a marine in the Korean War conflict. My husband was told a story about how his dad’s life was spared in one specific situation. My father-in-law’s first wife was divorcing him. He had to go to Seoul to sign some papers. While he was in Seoul, his entire group was wiped out and there were no survivors. He would have had the names of many of those men to remember each Memorial Day.
However, as I said in the beginning, there is one who gave his life that I do remember. He was a young man from Fowlerville, Michigan who served in the Iraq war. He had gone to school in Fowlerville and I vaguely remember him. However, during the battle for Fallujah, he lost his life in service to his country. There is a memorial to him in the cemetery in Fowlerville, and a scholarship given to a graduating Senior from the local high school every year in his name. Not having anyone else to remember by name on Memorial Day, I remember him.
Who do you remember on Memorial Day?

No comments: