What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, August 21, 2014

Thirty Sterling Principles, Part 2


Last week I started looking at the important principles laid down in the middle of Proverbs (Proverbs 22 – 24). There are lots of good principles to follow highlighted in Proverbs but these chapters point out 30 that every person should know and adhere to.
This week I will look at principles 4 – 5. Principle #4 basically talks about fooling others into thinking you have more land than you do. Proverbs 22:28 says, “Don’t stealthily move back the boundary lines staked out long ago by your ancestors.” So it appears on the surface to be talking about the boundaries of a piece of land. But I think it could also be talking about taking anything of value by stealth and deception. Sneaking money out of my husband’s wallet could be an example of that. Or shoplifting in a store. We are instructed to not do anything by stealth and deception.
Principle #5 is found in Proverbs 22:29. It says, “Observe people who are good at their work – skilled workers are always in demand and admired, they don’t take a back seat to anyone.” Skilled workers are always in demand and admired. That is so true. And, skilled workers usually are employed and valued by their employers. I have the responsibility of trying to raise children to be skilled workers. I think we’ve succeeded with at least one child, but there’s three to go. I don’t know how to teach them the value of being skillful in their studies as preparation for becoming skillful workers. We encourage them and try to get them to do their best work now. That’s the best we can do. They will be observed as they go through school, and if they do their best work, their skills will be noticed and they will be in high demand – by colleges or employers. I think the most I can do to help them become skilled workers who are high in demand and admired is to pray for them.
This verse also has application in my life. I need to strive to be a hard worker in my daily activities, whether it’s meeting with God or substitute teaching. This also requires a great amount of prayer for myself. I can’t be the kind of worker God wants me to be without turning everything over to God and praying for His strength in my life.

No comments: