What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, June 12, 2014

The Way to Wealth


I want to be rich. Doesn’t everybody? The questions for me are what’s the best way to get wealth and what would that wealth look like once I got it?
Today I read in Proverbs 8 about this very topic. Basically it said to get wealthy one must pursue Wisdom. In Proverbs 8, Wisdom is speaking to us. Wisdom says, “Wealth and Glory accompany me – also substantial Honor and a Good Name.” [verse 18, The Message] Of course, I asked the question, what kind of wealth is this talking about? In the New American Standard Bible it says verse 18 this way: “Riches and honor are with me; Enduring wealth and righteousness.” That tells me it’s talking about monetary wealth or a wealth of possessions, riches.
In Joshua 1:8 it tells us where Wisdom is found and what the results are of following after such Wisdom. “Do not let this Book of the Law depart from your mouth; meditate on it day and night, so that you may be careful to do everything written in it. Then you will be prosperous and successful.” [NIV] Wisdom is found in God’s Word, and acting and living in a way that is aligned with Scripture leads to a prosperous and successful life.
But there’s more to life than financial wealth. I think some of the other forms of wealth are mentioned in Proverbs 8:18. Having substantial Honor and a Good Name are other forms of wealth. These are things you can’t lose in the stock market or in a business deal. We get these things, honor and a good reputation, from doing things wisely. We know how to do the wise things by pursuing God’s Wisdom. That leads us back to doing things according to God’s Word.
The only way we can learn to do things according to God’s Word is by reading it and trying to follow what it says to do. So the way to true wealth, monetary or otherwise, is to be reading and applying God’s Word.

No comments: