What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, May 22, 2014

Lady Wisdom, Madame Insight


I’ve begun reading Proverbs in my daily devotions. In Proverbs 3 it says, “You’re blessed when you meet Lady Wisdom, when you make friends with Madame Insight.” [The Message] So how does one meet Lady Wisdom? And how does one become friends with Madame Insight?
We meet Wisdom and befriend Insight by learning, knowing and applying God’s Word. I think it’s especially important to apply the Word to our lives. As it said in my Bible Study (on Jezebel) this week, we must “take hold of instruction” (Proverbs 4:13). Taking hold of instruction means we have to grasp it and do something with it. That requires meditation and application. “Simply knowing truth does not bring blessing, but applying it surely does” (Life Principles from the Women of the Bible, Book Two, page 129).
Some things Scripture tells us to do are relatively self explanatory and easy to follow. For instance, the Word tells us we are to know His Words and do according to all that He says, (Luke 11:28, “. . . blessed are those who hear the word of God and observe it.”) We are to be studying His Word and spend time trying to do what it says. I try to do that in several ways. I have daily devotions where I read the Word of God and try to find something that I can apply for the day. Sometimes my application is just to pray that I would be more obedient to God’s Word. Sometimes my application is to spend a few extra minutes of my day praising God for Who He is. But I try to have a daily application, something I can do in one day.
I also try to know God’s Word by doing a weekly Bible Study. Right now I’m studying various women of the Bible using the aforementioned study book. For that study, I try to come up with an application I can do for a week or during the week between lessons. The important thing is to be applying what I learn from the passages of Scripture that I read. This week’s application from Bible Study is to give the Word first place in my day each day this week. I usually do that but I discovered by looking in my journals that I haven’t been faithful to having my devotions each morning recently. I need to get back into the habit of doing that . . . because that’s the way I will meet Wisdom and befriend Insight.

No comments: