What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 9, 2014

Psalm 17: God's Word's Way


Psalm 17:4 – 5: “I’m not trying to get my way
                                    in the world’s way.
                        I’m trying to get your way,
                                    Your Word’s way.
                        I’m staying on your trail;
                                    I’m putting one foot
                        In front of the other.
                                    I’m not giving up.”
I’m not giving up. I’m trying to follow His trail and do what the Word says. But sometimes I feel conflicted. What the Word says can be confusing. For instance, it says to be responsible for our finances, yet it also says to care for the afflicted. Sometimes I feel like I can’t do both at the same time. Yet I have to remember that God promised to meet all my needs. So, I can trust Him to meet my needs (and try not to get my wants confused with my needs).
If I’m not going to give up on following God then I need to be willing to step out in faith. Even when things don’t seem practical I need to evaluate whether it is God’s way or the way of the world. God’s way doesn’t always tell me what to do ahead of time. Sometimes God says to just put one foot in front of the other, not knowing what may come after that. The way of the world would be to have it all figured out ahead of time, to calculate the costs, and base every decision on whether it’s affordable or not.
I can’t live that way. I have to trust that God will work out the details. I’m not saying that I shouldn’t make wise decisions but the wisest of decisions still may have an element of the unknown in it. That’s where God has to come in and take over. If I only make decisions based on what I know for certain, I will most likely not make decisions at all – because there is very little certainty in this world.
So, as for me, I will not give up. I will continue to try and make decisions based on what God’s Word says. I will try to avoid making decisions based on what the world says. Sometimes this is very hard to do, but I will not give up on trying to do the next right thing, one foot ahead at a time.

2 comments:

Unknown said...

Thanks. I needed to hear this today.

Anonymous said...

Great words of encouragement for my soul today. :) Diane