What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, June 13, 2013

Confidence


I’ve been writing about various positive emotions but I haven’t really thought about what emotions are. I like to keep everything in my head, in thoughts and intellectual areas. Somehow I don’t equate that with emotion. Emotion, in my mind, is something else. But I looked up the definition of emotion today. The definition says it’s a “mental state.” That is counter to what I usually think about emotions and it takes some of the mystery out of them. Emotions do have something to do with my mind and the way I think. So, maybe I can bear to handle emotions if I just think of them as a state of my mind.
I think of confidence as something that comes from my mind, from my intellect. I have confidence when I feel in mental control of situations and a lack of confidence when things are outside of my control. However, both the existence of confidence and the lack of confidence are mental states. So both are emotions. I can think my way into both states because they deal with my mind. That is true of all the emotions I’ve explored so far whether it’s happiness, contentedness, or peacefulness. They are all parts of my mental state and I can think my way into experiencing them.
So confidence. It’s a belief in oneself according to the definition in the Thesaurus. Is that something I can talk or think my way into? I think it is. If I remind myself of the good things I’ve done and am able to do, I can cultivate a sense of confidence. So it’s a positive emotion, a good feeling emotion. It’s having a self-assurance that life can be worth living. It’s having a self-assurance that the things I plan have a reasonable chance of working out the way I planned (as long as I’m not trying to plan other peoples’ actions). It’s having self-assurance that I can create something good in the midst of even difficult circumstances.
The opposite of confidence is being unsure. It’s having a sense of uncertainty. I can see myself in that position a lot of the time if I’m unwilling to look at things from a historical point of view. History would show that things eventually work out. So from a historical point of view, I can be confident that things will work out in the future. I often fail to take history into account and as a result struggle with being unconfident. When things look bleak, I tend to feel that they will always be bleak. That’s the opposite of confidence. I like to think, “I have the confidence that this situation will not work out as I have planned.” That’s kind of a backwards way of being confident. I need to view it from the perspective of time and recognize that I can have confidence, a self-assuredness, that eventually things can work out.
It is still kind of funny to think of confidence as an emotion, but it is a mental state, so it is an emotion. It can be a positive or a negative emotion depending on what I’m focusing on: the problem or the solution. I think I will try to cultivate solution thinking by trusting God to work things out and by recognizing that, when I use my skills and strengths, things have worked out in the past. That’s where confidence becomes a positive emotion.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Confidence comes in trusting in the sure thing such as the promises of God.

Mary B. Grimm said...

True. I guess I didn't make that very clear in my article. Good thought.