What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 9, 2012

The Demons Knew

In a couple of places in the gospel of Luke, chapter 4, the demons recognized exactly who Jesus is (from The Message):

“In the meeting place [the temple] that day there was a man demonically disturbed. He screamed, ‘Ho! What business do You have here with us, Jesus? Nazarene! I know what you’re up to. You’re the Holy One of God and you’ve come to destroy us!’” (verses 33 – 34).

“One by one he placed His hands on them and healed them. Demons left in droves, screaming, ‘Son of God! You’re the Son of God!’ But He shut them up, refusing to let them speak because they knew too much, knew Him to be the Messiah.” (verses 40 – 41).

The question I ask myself is, “Do I really know Who Jesus is?” Really know. The demons knew and obeyed Him when He disturbed their plans and lives. The demons actually knew TOO much. The demons had to obey when Jesus shut them up. The demons knew He was the Messiah.

Is that Who Jesus is? A resounding, “YES!” I know He is, but . . . being as obedient as the demons is altogether another thing. I don’t always know what He is up to. I don’t always recognize His holiness. I don’t recognize His desire and purpose to destroy the demons in my life. I don’t proclaim Him boldly and loudly. I don’t know Him so well I cannot help but shout out. And, I don’t choose obedience.

There are demons in my life. I need to let Jesus point them out and take care of them. If I choose to be in tune with Jesus, recognize Who He is, and obey His commands, the demons will be shut up and cast away. Life can only be easier to live when I let Jesus deal with the demons. I need to listen to Jesus and respond in obedience to gain access to an easier life.

I am impressed with the way the demons, even as they wanted Jesus to leave them alone, had to respond in obedience to Jesus’ commands. I’m not sure they, like us, have a choice. They were afraid of the consequences of not obeying. I have a choice. Jesus wants me to respond, immediately and completely, out of love. It’s what makes us different from the demons. We volunteer to obey the One and only Son of God. If the demons knew, how much more I should know. And obey.

No comments: