What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, September 15, 2011

Habits

Definition: 1. settled or regular tendency or practice, especially one that is hard to give up: this can develop into a bad habit or we stayed together out of habit. Psychology: anautomatic reaction to a specific situation.

We are aware of our bad habits, often while doing them.

Smoking

Drinking

Picking your nose

Biting your fingernails

Procrastinating

Using sarcasm

Interrupting others

Picking sores or scabs

Biting lips

Eating (too much or not enough)

Ignoring the alarm clock

Swearing

Watching too much television

We are often unaware of our good habits because we do them automatically.

Walking daily

Running (or other aerobic exercise)

Eating (properly)

Eating as a family

Showering/washing daily

Brushing your teeth

Brushing/combing your hair

Using deodorant

Making your bed

Putting the toilet seat down

Flushing the toilet

Locking the car door (when you are holding the keys in your hand)

Praying daily

Hugging someone

Encouraging someone

Reading spiritual/devotional materials

Putting the dirty laundry in the basket (not on the floor)

By the definition above, habits get acted upon without an intentional, conscious effort much of the time. We just do it. Based on the situation. Specific situations evoke the use of a corresponding habit.

God is like that. In Psalm 130, the writer describes it: “If you, God, kept records on wrongdoings, who would stand a chance? As it turns out, forgiveness is your habit . . .” (verses 3 – 4, The Message; emphasis added)

I got to thinking about situations that spark God’s habit of forgiving. The situations? Just one.

We sin, God automatically forgives. That’s it. We sin, we recognize our sin, and God forgives. It is His habit, His regular tendency or practice. One last time, the situation is we sin. God’s reaction to that situation is automatic forgiveness.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I love this blog! I often dont think about the good habits I do have. Reminds me to keep my inventory balanced!

Tonya

Mary B. Grimm said...

Thanks Tonya. I wrote it when I needed to remember that I'm not the sum of my bad habits.