What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, July 7, 2011

Cognitive Dissonance


There are only a few things I remember from my high school Psychology class. One of them is Cognitive Dissonance, “the state of having inconsistent thoughts, beliefs, or attitudes especially as relating to behavioral decisions and attitude change.” It is the catalyst for change because holding onto the contradictory thoughts will torment us until the contradictory beliefs are resolved.

Lately I am living between decisions, in the tormented stage. Not deciding one way or the other on an important issue results in mental agony. Often there is physical consequences that show up due to the extra stress and anxiety that comes with indecision.

How long can I go without serenity, calmness, or sense of wellbeing that comes from making the decision? The thing about Cognitive Dissonance is that the longer a decision is postponed, the bigger and scarier the issue becomes. It becomes the cause and focus of most thoughts. Making other decisions, thinking about something else, or living a life worth living (thriving) is difficult. Example: I haven’t been able to concentrate on other things so I couldn’t think of anything to write for this week’s article, and I didn’t even remember to write an article (thus the later posting time than usual).

Friends want me to make the decision right now – or at least set a goal as to when the decision will be made. Either way I decide will bring peace within me. I do want that, but I’m not ready to make a decision, yet.

No comments: