What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, October 31, 2013

Psalm 8


I am often amazed at the simple truths that come out of the mouths of children. However, David in this psalm tells us we shouldn’t be so surprised. In The Message verse 2 says,
“Nursing infants gurgle choruses about you;
            toddlers shout the songs
That drown out enemy talk,
            and silence atheist babble.”
Even gurgling babes proclaim God’s name. The fact that babies were even conceived is testimony of God’s greatness. The fact they grow and develop into toddlers, then children, then teenagers, then adults is amazing. The whole process is a miracle that God put in place. It’s not some accident of nature or the primordial ooze. It’s part of God’s plan.
When I think about how people are formed and born and grow I am amazed that more people don’t get it. Babes proclaim God’s existence by their existence. What miracles they are. How wonderfully made they are. It amazes me that someone could look at babies and think they happened by chance. It’s too much of a miracle for chance in my book.
Psalm 8 goes on to tell us that we are part of the creation God has made, a very special part of the creation (verses 3 – 8):
“I look up at your macro-skies, dark and enormous,
            your handmade sky-jewelry,
Moon and star mounted in their settings.
            Then I look at my micro-self and wonder,
Why do you bother with us?
            Why take a second look our way?
Yet we’ve so narrowly missed being gods . . .
You put us in charge of your handcrafted world . . .
Made us lords of sheep and cattle,
            Even animals out in the wild . . .”
God chose to make us be almost like gods. He created the heavens and the earth and everything in them, but He gave us the position of ruling over them. That amazes me, too. He put all things under our control. We have rule over the birds of the air and the fish of the sea. He takes a second look at us. He takes a third look at us. He watches over us constantly so we may, in turn, worship Him. That’s what He wants from us. So today, as I think about these things, and ponder the miracle of life, I praise Him and stand amazed that He looks at me at all.
I say with David verse 9:
“God, brilliant Lord,
            your name echoes around the world.”

No comments: