What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, February 16, 2012

Truth or Popular

Conviction is coming from reading the Gospel of Luke. It started as an academic exercise. Deciding to review my acquaintance with the life of Jesus, I thought reading through the Gospels (the Biblical books of Matthew, Mark, Luke and John) would remind me of Who Jesus is. What it is doing is reminding me of whom Jesus wants me to be.

I recently wrote in an email to a friend:


Today I read a few verses in Luke 6. Then I stopped and just focused on 3 verses, 24 - 26. Verse 26 was enlightening:


"There's trouble ahead when you live only for the approval of others, saying what flatters them, doing what indulges them. Popularity contests are not truth contests—look how many scoundrel preachers were approved by your ancestors! Your task is to be true, not popular." [The Message]


This reminds me of the saying I've heard around the youth group before: What is right is not always popular and what is popular is not always right. I like this. It talks about how doing what is right, what is true and what is honoring to God, is not necessarily what is comfortable to hear or do. The effect of making people uncomfortable usually means we are not popular in the common meaning of the word popular (liked, admired or enjoyed by many people). I don't want to be unpopular or put people off, but I do want to proclaim and do right and truth. I must do that – but I can strive to do it out of love and in as loving a way as possible. Sometimes it actually feels like it is burning inside of me, a pain deep within my heart for those who do not know Christ and are far away from a meaningful, honest, and accurate encounter with Him. There are so many falsehoods and lies people believe regarding Who Jesus is and what He asks from us. It is up to us to give witness to the truths, leaving personal agendas and politics out of it, especially to those who so desperately need our Savior. It is up to us to preach the Truth -- not some manmade version of the truth. It is up to us – ME – to share the hope and love and life of Christ to those who need Him – to those who need a healer, a physician, a Savior; to those who, like us, need Christ for an eternal hope and a better quality of life right now.


As I write this, I hurt. I fall so very, very, very short of what is needed. I am not the witness Christ would have me be. I can only ask for forgiveness, ask for guidance, ask for wisdom, and try again. Do you feel the same longing to meet people's needs, to bring them to a place where their desperation leaves them, and in the place of the desperation, put in the peace of Christ?


Then, it passes. I don't think I can live there all the time, but I don't think I let it burn strong enough or often enough to be of use to those who so desperately need a Savior. But, I do the best I can. I work to do better. And, God uses what I give. For His glory.

For another take on this concept, see article posted one minute before this one.

No comments: