What is it?

Looking through my journals and email, I found out that I was wishing for a lot of good things to happen. I claimed to be “hoping,” but I did not/could not be confident the desired outcome would happen. That is not what hope is about. Hope is more than wishing. [Want to know more? Click here.]

Thursday, January 30, 2014

Psalm 18:20-24 Laying Down the Pieces of My Life


I don’t have a lot of time this week for writing my blog but I thought that this passage in Psalm 18 from The Message was worth noting. It says,
“God made my life complete
    when I placed all the pieces before him.
When I got my act together,
    he gave me a fresh start.
Now I’m alert to God’s ways;
    I don’t take God for granted.
Every day I review the ways he works;
    I try not to miss a trick.
I feel put back together,
    and I’m watching my step.
God rewrote the text of my life
    when I opened the book of my heart to his eyes.”
I found comfort in these words. I like the idea of placing the pieces of my life before God. I don’t think I do that very well. I tend to worry about things and not turn them over to God. In the middle of the night I worry but don’t lay the pieces before God. I don’t sleep well as a result. If I was to lay the pieces before Him, I might sleep better. Maybe I wouldn’t need the sleeping medication prescribed to me.
However, sometimes when I try to lay everything before Him, I end up worrying even more. I don’t know how to lay down the pieces of my life in a way that brings the peace and comfort implied in this passage. I do know it’s hard work and involves work on my part (i.e. getting my act together). I seek the fresh start He can give me, I just don’t know how to obtain it.
That doesn’t mean I will give up trying. I don’t want to take God for granted. Everyday I need to review the ways He works and I try to do that by praising Him on a daily basis. I also try to look at the ways He’s rewriting my life, changing my world. And I try to remember to give Him thanks for those changes. That’s a part of my daily time in His Word and in prayer.

No comments: